Springs in Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh is home to many waterfalls, mainly located in the Sutlej and Beas valleys. Hot springs include Vashishtha in Kullu district, Kheer Ganga in Kullu, Console in Kullu, Manikaran in Kullu (notable for its religious significance), Jeori in Shimla, Tapri in Kinnaur and Tatapani in Mandi district. Cold water springs surround Rahla in Manali, Chadwick in Shimla district, Bhagsunath in Kangra, Jwalamukhi in Kangra, Lunani in Kangra, Sulah in Kangra, Satdhara in Chamba, Dhanochho in Chamba and Kalika in Chamba. These natural wonders play a vital role in groundwater supply and hold cultural and religious significance in the area.
1. Vashishtha: Located on the banks of river Vyas in Kullu district, Vashishtha is known for its hot water springs.
2. Kheer Ganga: Connected to the Parvati River and located in Kullu district, Kheer Ganga is recognized as a hot water spring.
3. Console: Located on the banks of river Parvati in Kullu district, Console is a hot water spring.
4. Manikaran: Situated on the banks of river Parvati in Kullu district, Manikaran is not only a hot water spring but also an important religious site for both Hindus and Sikhs. Legend has it that Goddess Parvati’s earring broke and fell at this place.
5. Jeori: A hot water spring located near Anu Nala in Shimla.
6. Tapri: Tapri found in Kinnaur district is identified as a hot water spring.
7. Tatapani: Located on the banks of river Sutlej in Karsog in Mandi district, Tatapani offers a glass of hot water.
Cold Water Springs:
1. Rahala: Located in Manali, Kullu, Rahala is a cool and refreshing cold water spring.
2. Chadwick: Found in Sirmaur in Shimla district, Chadwick is known for its cold water spring.
3. Bhagsunath: Located in McLeodganj, Kangra, Bhagsunath is recognized as a cold water spring.
4. Jwalamukhi: Located near the Vyas River in Kangra district, Jwalamukhi provides refreshing spectacles of cool water.
5. Lunani: Lunani falling under Kangra district is identified as a cold water spring.
6. Sulah: Located in Kangra district, Sulah is another place to provide a glass of chilled water.
7. Satdhara: Found in Panjpula of Chamba district, Satdhara is known for its cold water spring.
8. Dhanochho: Located in Chamba district, Dhanochho is a cold water spring that provides freshness.
9. Kalika: Identified in Chamba district, Kalika is another cold water spring in the region.
These natural wonders not only contribute to groundwater supply but also hold cultural and religious significance in Himachal Pradesh.
• Himachal Pradesh has many springs in the Sutlej and Beas valleys, with hot springs like Vashishtha, Kheer Ganga, Console and Manikaran located in Kullu district.
• Other hot springs include Jeori in Shimla, Tapari in Kinnaur and Tatapani in Mandi district.
• Cold water springs like Rahala in Manali, Chadwick in Shimla, Bhagsunath in Kangra and Jwalamukhi in Kangra are also present.
• Additional cold water springs with cultural and religious importance are Lunani, Sulah, Satdhara, Dhanocho and Kalika.
• These natural wonders play an important role in the supply of groundwater in Himachal Pradesh.